Tokyo Stroll cover
Fukagawa Detail 3
Tokyo Stroll cover
Asakusa Detail 1
Tokyo Stroll cover
Asakusa Detail 2 Tokyo Stroll cover
Fukagawa Detail 3
Tokyo Stroll cover
Asakusa Detail 1
Tokyo Stroll cover
Asakusa Detail 2

Tokyo Stroll Supplement: Ningyōchō

Shop in Ningyocho

This page indexes, contains corrections and has additions to the Ningyōchō chapter of Tokyo Stroll.

For information on Tokyo Stroll and this web supplement see Tokyo Stroll Supplement home page

For users of the Organic Maps, Maps.Me and Google Maps apps the items below have bookmarks you can import into those apps to make navigation easier.
Instructions and links are on the Viewing Locations in Organic Maps, Maps.Me, Google Maps, or Google Earth page.

Amazake Yokochō: Tokyo Stroll page 280

Chanoki Jinja: Tokyo Stroll page 283

Gyokueidō: Tokyo Stroll page 274

Hamachō Park / Hamachō Kōen: Tokyo Stroll page 286

Hamadaya: Tokyo Stroll page 270

Hiyama: Tokyo Stroll page 282

Itakuraya: Tokyo Stroll page 273

Iwai Tsuzuraya: Tokyo Stroll page 280

Kaneman: Tokyo Stroll page 272

Kanmidokoro Hatsune: Tokyo Stroll page 283

Kasama Inari Jinja: Tokyo Stroll page 285

Kissako Kaiseiken: Tokyo Stroll page 273

Kizushi: Tokyo Stroll page 270

Koami Jinja: Tokyo Stroll page 271

Kogiku Dōri: Tokyo Stroll page 283

Koharuken: Tokyo Stroll page 272

Kotobukidō: Tokyo Stroll page 283

Matsushima Jinja: Tokyo Stroll page 284

Meiji Kannondō: Tokyo Stroll page 285

Meijiza: Tokyo Stroll page 285

Morinoen: Tokyo Stroll page 275

Musée Hamaguchi Yōzō: Yamasa Collection (ミュゼ浜口陽三・ヤマサコレクション)
[South of the area in the Ningyōchō area map, just north of the large elevated highway, and near exits 3 and 4 of Suitengūmae Station.]

Coming from a family with several artists in its history and being the third son of the president of the Yamasa Shōyu company Yōzō Hamaguchi went on to become one of the world's most famous mezzotint artists. Among other things he developed the color mezzotint technique now used by many. He spent most of his career in Paris and San Francisco with a period in Japan from 1939-1953. He returned to Japan in 1996 and passed away in 2000. The museum opened in 1998, is operated by the Yamasa corporation and was set up with Yōzō's approval. The collection includes not only prints by him and his wife Keiko Minami, it also includes tools, various photographs, and occasional displays of works by other artists. There is also a cafe attached to the museum.

Ningyōchō Imahan: Tokyo Stroll page 282

Ningyōchō Karakuri Yagura: Tokyo Stroll page 273

Ningyōchō Shinodazushi: Tokyo Stroll page 281

Ōkannonji: Tokyo Stroll page 282

Sasaki Saketen: Tokyo Stroll page 281

Soba Tōshimaya: Tokyo Stroll page 280

Suehiro Jinja: Tokyo Stroll page 270

Suitengū: Tokyo Stroll page 284

Tachibana Inari: Tokyo Stroll page 270

Tamahide: Tokyo Stroll page 272

Tenoto (天音)
[Southwest of the area in the Ningyōchō Detail 1 map]

Founded in 1930 and specializing in generous servings of sesame fried tempura, they serve a few other dishes such as sashimi and oyakodon. Their special sauce is from a batch that has been added to year after year since they were founded. This place has a relaxed environment with Western style seating.

Tōfu no Futaba: Tokyo Stroll page 280

Torihada: Tokyo Stroll page 281

Toriyasu (鳥安)
[Roughly six blocks north of the area in the Ningyōchō Detail 5 map]

The restaurant has had a specialty in one dish aigamo sukiyaki since they opened in 1872. Aigamo sukiyaki is made with the meat of a duck that is the offspring resulting from crossbreeding a wild and a domestic duck. The restaurant was renovated in 2005 and has both traditional at horigotatsu and Western seating. It is sometimes referred to as Sukiyaki Toriyasu.

Tsukushi: Tokyo Stroll page 283

Ubukeya: Tokyo Stroll page 270

Yagenbori Fudōin (薬研堀不動院)
[Roughly six blocks north of the area in the Ningyōchō Detail 5 map]

One of the major Fudō Myōō temples of Tokyo and a branch of Kawasaki Daishi Heikenji, a major Shingon temple in Kawasaki. The main object of veneration here is a Fudō statue from the 12th century which was brought to Edo in 1585 after the temple it was in was burned down in a battle. As the statue was carried in a wicker box the statue came to be called the Tsuzura Fudō Myōō, that is "Fudō Myōō in a wicker box" The temple itself is on a small plot of land and shaped like a pagoda with a long stairway leading to it.
EVENTS: Around December 28 there is the Toshi no Ichi, a three-day fair held here.

Yanagiya: Tokyo Stroll page 280

Yoshiume: Tokyo Stroll page 282

Back to the Tokyo Stroll Supplement home page - Privacy Notice - Back to Gilles' home page

Created July 10, 2919 | Content last updated August 23, 2023